Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Our marriage with different priorities

Mark and I don’t have a typical marriage, especially for a 33-year-old. Our priorities are a lot different. We worry about medications, shots, doctor’s appointments and money. Other married people I know worry about jobs, kids, money, house repairs, etc. Both types of marriages definitely have struggles. In fact, everyone has struggles and no one can say who has it worse or who has it better. We all struggle, unfortunately.

I do admit, there are times, I wish I had a “normal” marriage for a 33-year-old. I wish we didn’t have to worry about doctor’s appointments and medications and our lives didn’t revolve around doctors and meds all the time. That my husband would go to work in the morning instead of sleeping all day and that I could call him at work and ask him how his day was going. That he would be working hard in the garage and I would have to yell at him to come in for supper. That he wouldn’t be around on a Saturday because he was out golfing with the guys. That we could take a walk without going half a block and having to turn around because it was too much on Mark.

Yeah, sometimes I wish that with all my heart. Maybe that makes me a bad wife for admitting that.

But, I know that wouldn’t be “us”. I’ve heard quite a few people who have told me that they wish they had my marriage and life and that they envy me. I admit, I used to be confused by that. Why would someone wish to have an ill husband and struggle with infertility issues?

But, honestly, I wouldn’t trade this marriage and life for anything. And I’m beginning to understand why people would say that to me.

Talk about confusing, huh? Sigh…..

There isn’t a day that goes by that I wake up so grateful to have Mark snoring by my side (and he sure does snore :)), that I’m grateful for the sunshine, that I’m grateful to hear Mark get up for lunch, that I’m grateful for a hug and a kiss, that I’m grateful for the times in the doctor’s office when we’re holding hands because we are anticipating bad news, that I’m grateful for the kisses of relief when his kidney numbers come back good, that I’m grateful that Mark can even walk as I know diabetics have had to have their legs amputated. I could go on and on.

Our priorities are different, but I believe we cherish life more because of it. We don’t take our time for granted. And I even cherish the times he is in the hospital or has an insulin reaction as we get through it by hugging and loving each other and lots of hugs when it’s all done. It’s like those times help us realize what is really important.

So, even though sometimes I wish we had the “normal” stressors, I’m grateful that we don’t. I’m grateful that we have the stressors that fewer people have because they have changed our lives and because of them, we look at the sunshine, life and world different. There are more smiles, hugs, love and gratitude.

People have said we have an amazing love and that they wish they had the love we have. I wish that for everyone. I’m so lucky and honored to be Mark’s wife for the last 8 years.

10 comments:

Kate said...

You sound so sweet- I don't think your a bad wife- just keeping it real Tammy- lots of people think things they never say outload.

Cherish what you have- if we were all the same and had the same relationships we would be so boring. :) You my friend, are not boring.

Just Believing said...

What a beautiful post and obviously a beautiful marriage full of more love than most could ever dream of having! You are one lucky girl and I am so happy you get to wake up beside the man you love ( even if he does snore :)

Ashley said...

HUGS honey!!!

Amber said...

This is beautiful! It's so exciting to hear about how much someone loves their spouse. I think marriages fall into quite the routine, and we don't appreciate what we have very often. Great job at recognizing that your marriage is wonderful, and you wouldn't trade it for anything. Congrats!

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

youre too sweet, tammy! mark is one lucky guy.

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said...

That is a really wonderful perspective! Gosh, I really needed to read something like that today. Thank you so much for sharing! =)

Montana's mom said...

Sounds like you love each other a great deal and that is all that matters!!!

Stacey said...

What a wonderful and faithful wife you are, Tammy! Your experiences together have obviously strengthened your marriage and made it very unique. I'm so glad you and Mark have each other!

Kami said...

Things may be tough but I see such a beautiful love between the two of you and honestly, I am a little jealous because Mark is so good to you. He says the most beautiful things and he loves you so much. What woman wouldn't want that?? My husband loves me, he just doesn't show it like Mark does. You lucky woman you!!!

Love you,
Kami

Anonymous said...

God made sure that you two were together because, you both have amazing patients & strength. I have to admit that I don't think I would have to strength that you have. You're a very powerful woman and for that Mark is also very LUCKY. You're perfectly made for eachother. :)