Thursday, May 21, 2009

Our new car

My convertible has been with me since 1998, about 11 years. We’ve been through a lot together from my college days (don’t know how that thing made it through those days), to my dating days with Mark in which I had some embarrassing moments including when driving with him and having my laundry in the back of the car with my tiger-printed underwear (which he now really loves). And of course with Tyler and Peyton, many fun memories as they loved having the top down. My convertible has been in many parades. It’s had a run on with a deer in which it caused the horn to start blowing and I couldn’t turn it off….pretty embarrassing. I’ve had some pretty good memories with that thing.

Tyler has told me many times that I can never sell that car and I assured him I wouldn’t unless that thing gave out on me. I loved having a convertible.

So, you can imagine the pain when the car would start overheating just driving a couple miles. We found out there was a leak and it would cost a few hundred dollars to fix it. Plus, the air-conditioning was broke and that would be about $500. The car was worth about $1000. So, it was a no-brainer that we needed to get a new one rather than fix it up and a “reliable” used car was almost as much as a new car and with the new car, we could get 5 years of 0% financing. So, really a no-brainer when you think about it.

But, I was scared. Not so much about getting a new car….but the wrath of Tyler Matthew Park. I asked his mom to tell him but she was not going to go there. If I was going to break his poor, little heart, I had to do it.

Crap.

I put it off as long as I could. It was a Thursday afternoon that we had to go pick up our new car and I had to pick up Tyler from school with Mark. I begged Mark to break the news to Tyler. Of course Mark said there was no way he was going to break the little guy’s heart. Thanks for the support, honey.

So we pick up Tyler from school and he asks what we’re going to do this afternoon.

I said “Well, I think we’ll get a new car”

Tyler said, “A new car? You’re not going to get rid of the convertible, are you?”

After a little pause, I said “Well, yeah, Tyler, we kind of have to”.

Tyler’s chin starts quivering.

I looked at Tyler and said “Oh, please, honey, don’t do that. I’m sorry, but the convertible is broken and we can’t fix it.”

Tyler’s eyes start filling up.

“Oh, Tyler, I’m so very sorry. I wouldn’t be doing this if I didn’t have to. Isn’t that right, Mark?”

Mark said “Well, yeah. We would keep it if we could.”

Tyler said in between his chin quivering and trying not to cry “But I like the car. You can’t get rid of it.”

I said after a little silence “Well, I did make cookies. They’re at home and you can have one, or maybe two.”

Tyler’s eyes go wide and suddenly he seems to forget about the car “Really! Are they really big cookies?”

Whew…..”Yes, they are big!”

It’s funny what a couple big cookies can do.

Here is my convertible with Tyler:




Here is our new car, a 2009 Chevy Aveo:

10 comments:

onemorebaby said...

Love your new car!!! p.s. can I have a cookie too?

battynurse said...

Congrats on the new car! And I'm so glad that Tyler was appeased by cookies. How cute.

elephantscanremember said...

Congratulations on the car!

Kami said...

Yay on the new car!!!! I know what you mean about missing something that has been in the family for so long but it sounded like it was time. Poor Tyler. But I guess cookies do solve everything! Wouldn't that be wonderful??

Kami

Anonymous said...

OHHH Poor little Man, how could you do such a thing?? J/K! That's so adorable about the cookie cheer-up. Your new car is adorable. I'm very happy for you both and Tyler and his cookies too =0)

Sarah

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

that is so sweet how much he loved your car!! at least you found a way to change the subject..cookies usually do the trick!

Michelle said...

lol, poor Tyler. Congrats on the new car. Isnt it so nice to drive a car knowing that it wont break down on you?

Montana's mom said...

Glad the cookies averted a crisis in Wondra land!! Congrats on the new car.

TerribleT said...

I loved this post Tammy!!! And the photos of Tyler and the convertible are adorable!!! You are such a wonderful Aunty.

Rachel said...

First, I so know what you are going through, we just went through that with our van...tried to run the other car into the ground and eventually DID! It is emotional to get rid of a car you have had so long, and you wouldn't think that...kinda crazy. Second, I am jealous of the distance between your house and your neighbor! How fun....we live where houses are crammed so close together you can see and hear everything. Also...those trees...my....! IT looks so peaceful! Can I come stay with you? Hahaha...