Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Oh yeah, she's adopted

The other day I was talking to a friend about Hannah and some of her separation anxiety she has been having. My friend mentioned "It must be really hard for you with her being adopted. You have no idea what kind of anxiety or psychological issues that run in her family."

My first thought: Oh yeah, she's adopted.

That's right. For a moment I forgot she was adopted.

It happens more often than you would think. There are many times I actually forget Hannah is adopted.

She's so much like us that I focus on the features she has of "ours" such as Mark's skin color, Mark's nose, Mark's eyes, my hair, my behavioral mechanisms, etc. She is such a "mini me" that I forget that she actually doesn't have my DNA or Mark's. It's honestly hard to believe sometimes. I look at her reactions and mannerisms, and I find myself comparing her to Mark or myself.

So often I find myself saying "She must have gotten that from her dad" or "Yep, that's a Gustafson thing" or "She's totally a Wondra"...and I don't even think about it.

Yes, she's adopted.....but sometimes it's just plain hard to remember that.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

That is the most beautiful thing I've ready today! :o) That's one lucky girl

One Who Understands said...

I too forget out Little Miss is adopted! She too looks so much like us and has our quirks. Adoption is such a beautiful thing. I often can't believe she didn't come from us. But regardless of where they come from, they were always meant to be ours!