I did something the other day that I really don't like doing.
I hurt my daughter's feelings. :(
I know it wasn't the first time and it most definitely will not be the last. But whenever I see that beautiful face fall and her eyes look down to the ground, I can feel my heart breaking.
We have a "few" leaves in our yard---understatement of the year there. We got some pumpkin bags to fill up to put out as decorations. We had gotten one big pumpkin bag and 6 little ones. I helped Hannah fill them up and put the big one next by the garage right in the middle between the two garage doors.
It was Mark and Hannah's "job" to put the 6 pumpkins wherever they wanted. I told them some ideas (by the sidewalk, on the deck, etc.). Hannah was so excited that she got to pick where they would go. I went into the house and did some cleaning while they went to work.
It wasn't too long before I heard an excited voice yell "Mommy! We're all done! Come see where we put the pumpkins!"
I went outside and Hannah excitedly pointed out the pumpkins---all 6 right next to the big one.
I looked at Mark "Seriously?"
He shrugged "That's where she wanted them. I told her it's a work in progress."
I sighed and said to Hannah "Are you sure you don't want them spread out more? Maybe some on the deck? Some over here? I really don't want them all together."
Hannah's face fell. Her arms crossed in front of her body and she sulked down. "You don't like it".
I walked over to Hannah and bent down to her. "Well, it's not that I don't like them. I just think they might look better if they are more spread out".
Hannah lifted up her face with fear in her eyes. "But Mommy! Then they will get scared! They'll be lonely! They won't be by their mommy! They need to be together!"
I've always known Hannah has a big heart and she proved it to me once again.
To her, the most important thing is being together, having that security, knowing you're protected and having your mommy by your side. It's the best place for "babies" to be. To her these were so much more than decorations, so much more than just "pumpkins" and she wanted to take care of them and make sure they weren't scared.
I gave Hannah a big smile and said "You know what? You're right. I think that is the best place for them. We don't want them to get scared or lonely. You're so thoughtful and I'm so proud of you."
She gave me a big hug, wrapping her little arms around my neck and smiled big "Thank you Mommy!"
I love the innocence of a child's heart. The true sincerity and true love. I wish more adults would think that way, even if it seems it's just "pumpkins".

Birthday Fun
4 years ago











No comments:
Post a Comment