Sunday, April 19, 2009

Update on Mark

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts and prayers and asking about Mark.

He was able to keep his anti-rejection pills down! That's really great news. He's still pretty sick, though. His blood pressures are sky-high and his sugars are way out of control. This pretty much happens every time he's in the hospital. Last time, it seemed like all the extra meds and insulin they gave him all of a sudden started working the last day and he bottomed out. So, of course I'm worried about that.

He's been sleeping a lot or trying to. When he's awake, he's throwing up. :( And he's a little crabby....but I guess I would be, too, if I had to stay in the hospital and put up with a sleep-deprived, stir-crazy wife.

Hopefully he'll be able to keep his pills down within the next day or 2 and we can go home.

I'm sorry I haven't updated before now. To be honest, I was really down and discouraged. I think part of the reason was yesterday was my birthday and to be spending it in the hospital just plain sucked. Yeah, it's just another day and you can celebrate it any day....but would you really want to spend your birthday in the hospital? I think not. Mark has apologized many times for it but I just thank him because he's putting off me getting older. :) It makes him feel better. Our plan was to go to Red Lobster as that's on my "bucket list" (pretty sad, huh?) so we will just have to do it another day and really celebrate. :)

I cried a lot yesterday. I would go home and check up on Eddie and I would just sit on the deck and cry. I never wanted to cry in front of people or Mark because I didn't want them to know I was hurting. Basically I'm scared. I'm scared of what's happening. A few years after the transplant, Mark was doing incredibly well. We went almost 2 years with him not being in the hospital at all. I realized yesterday that for the last year, it's been every 4 months he's had an episode and it's always the same thing with basically the same time frame. This time it was different, though. This time he has had more episodes of SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) that he had shown on his defibrillator, and it seems like his heart couldn't take the stomach thing as his troponin enzymes went up...something that has never happened before. That scares me big time.

So, yesterday it got me thinking. And I'm just going to be blunt here....what if this is the "beginning of the end"? Mark has already beat the odds. But, now it seems it's "conveniently" every 4 months he's in the hospital and this time his heart didn't respond well to it at all. We've always assumed he's just caught a virus, but the timing is just too coincidental to me. I'm so terrified of losing Mark right now. I know, I shouldn't be thinking about that and to enjoy my time with him, but I'm a realistic person and to me, it seems like his stomach and heart are "giving up".

And at the same time, it's killing me to watch him suffer. Yesterday I prayed to God not to let him suffer anymore. Take him home. He's had enough.

And you can imagine what I was thinking about all the TTC stuff yesterday....not going to happen and that we should just stop trying.

So, yesterday was a bad day.....and to have all those thoughts going through my head on my birthday---well, it just kind of was overwhelming. I didn't want to talk to anyone and didn't really answer my phone.

Okay, enough talking about that.

I have to tell you about Peyton and Tyler to kind of lighten the moment. Friday night my parents brought Tyler and Peyton to see us. When they came in, Peyton announced to me right away that she had to change her shirt and wear her polka dots shirt before they came to see Uncle Mark. I asked her if she got her other shirt dirty. She said "No. I know Mark likes my polka dots shirt so he can poke the polka dots and I know my shirt will help him feel better." It was so sweet. It did get a smile out of Mark. :)

Then yesterday my sister and BIL came with Tyler and Peyton. They brought a couple magazines and a chocolate cheesecake for my birthday cake. :) My sister told me that Tyler and Peyton had picked out the cake for me. Tyler told me "Mommy asked what kind of cake we should get you and Peyton made me say chocolate". I said to Tyler "Well, that's okay because I love chocolate!" Then Tyler smiled and said "I knew you would".

He's a smart cookie. He knew he was covered whether I liked the cake or not. :)

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and prayers and asking about him. It means more than you know.

16 comments:

The Pifer's said...

Love you lots and praying for you and Mark!!!

Rachel said...

Glad to hear Mark is better. Praying for you guys and peace and comfort for you. Happy Birthday by the way...sorry I missed that :(

Anonymous said...

I dont know if I ever told you (jessie) is 28. since we've been together (6 years) she has been in the cardiac icu 9 times. 5 of those times they told me she had a heart attack (tests proved them wrong) 3 times they told me she would never make it out of the hospital alive & if she did she'd be on full disability never able to work or have a normal life again. She just left for her 12 hour paramedic shift a few minutes ago. With some awesome doctors, a couple maintenace meds, she saves lives everyday. She can pass the DOT physical no problems. The doctors say she has to live healthy (hence the weight loss plan) take her meds & get tested but she will have a normal healthy life. I was told on our first anniversary that she was going to die (23 y/o) I know the 2 constant things no matter what we went through was our love & lots of prayer. I know our faith got us through the darkness & will continue to lead us along our path. We are praying like crazy, We sent grammy to church, she lit a candle for you and mark both. If grammy's praying for you, he will be hoime safe soon. Lots of lovies.

Ashley said...

Happy late Birthday honey!! I'm sorry you had to spend it in the hospital!! I'm praying for Mark! I hope he gets to come home soon!!!

just me, dawn said...

very good to hear that mark is getting better. Hoping he gets to come home soon!
and for you a big hug and happy birthday, wish you would have had a better one..hang in there.

Angelwingsbaby said...

We have continued to pray for Mark. I am sending HUGE HUGS to you and I really do hope things get better soon.

Michelle said...

Im sorry Tammy. I wish so much I could spend some time with you, even if just for a moment to exchange hugs. No matter what happens, God has yours and Mark's best interest at heart.

Just Believing said...

Praying praying praying!!!!!

Montana's mom said...

Just wanted to let you know we are still praying!!!

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said...

Oh sweetie! I'm so sorry that you are going through this. You and Mark are in my thoughts and prayers. ((hugs))

Kate said...

I am sorry that Mark is not feeling better yet. I thought about you Tammy last night- my best friend was having pain and they admitted her- so I sleep in her room on the hard chairs- so wanting to be home- but knowig you need to be in the hospital with loved ones. We were in the same sync!

Caroline said...

Hi sweetie,
My heart breaks for you when I read your posts. I can only imagine how frightening it is to see Mark so sick and to not know what the future holds. It is also horrible that your birthday fell on the same day that Mark was in hospital. If you ever need to vent or just want some online hugs, you know my email address.

Caroline x

Anonymous said...

Tammy,

I am so, so sorry! I just got on the computer today (Monday) and read what was going on. I haven't been on the computer since I last wrote. Gosh, poor Mark! I cannot even imagine what you must be going through. "Happy Belated Birthday" I know it's a little to late and it wasn't so happy but, Mark is still here. That itself is a precious gift.
I'm going to say a prayer for Mark and for you. I pray that you stay strong and that Mark hangs in there and gets better quickly.

Please keep us posted!

Thinking of you both,

Sarah

Us4 Cats said...

hugs. hang in there. glad to hear he is better. the whole ordeal is sad . happy blated bday, if that matters. you two hang in. give hugs.

Tiffany said...

Love you lots and praying for you!

Mamato2 said...

I hope the next post says Mark is out of the hospital and that 4 months from now, he is stronger than ever. :)